This page has moved to a new address.

Missing

The Heart of Life: Missing

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Missing

I published my last post a little prematurely.  I thought it was safe to say I had all my best GTBT stories in the bag.  Nope.

Today as I pulled my supplies out of my trunk right before my very last presentation, I noticed something very important was missing.  Jerome's pants were gone. 

Jerome is my boy Cabbage Patch doll.  He and Meridith tell stories to kindergarten and first grade kids on the last day of GTBT.  And when I say that, I mean I wiggle them around as I tell the stories.

I had taken Jerome and Meridith to another kindergarten class earlier in the day, and as far as I can remember Jerome was wearing his pants then.  Thus, they probably had fallen off as I carried him back to my car.  I made a quick decision that it was very inappropriate to bring this half-naked doll to the class, so I left him in my car in hopes that I wouldn't have time to tell Jerome's story anyway.

It just so happened that I had plenty of time to tell Jerome's story.  I started out by telling the kids, "A silly thing happened to Jerome today!  He was going to come tell a story, but he couldn't find his pants!  So he couldn't come today."

I then continued to tell the story I normally tell about Jerome.  In the story, Jerome rode his bike to the park without asking permission, and while he was there some boys told him they'd give him $10 if he took his pants off (how ironic is that?).  Then he was scared to tell his mom because he didn't want to get in trouble for riding his bike without permission. 

After I told the kids about the boys who asked Jerome to take his pants off, I asked them what Jerome should do.  They said he should say no, get away, and tell someone.  I told the kids, "Yes, Jerome should tell someone, but he's got a problem, doesn't he?"  I asked the kids what Jerome's problem is, and one child shouted out, "He doesn't have any pants!!  He can't ride his bike without pants!"

I laughed.  I couldn't help myself.  I explained that in the story Jerome is wearing pants--he just couldn't find his pants today.  I totally set myself up for that one.

I stopped by the office and sheepishly asked the secretary if she had seen Jerome's pants.  She hadn't.  I asked the teacher I'd presented to this morning if she'd seen Jerome's pants.  She hadn't either.  I watched for the pants as I walked down the halls and also as I walked through the parking lot.  No pants.  I double-checked in the trunk of my car.  Still no pants.

So bless Jerome's little Cabbage Patch heart, he is still missing his pants.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 31, 2012 at 9:42 PM , Blogger Georgia said...

Laughed right out loud about poor Jerome's pantless predicament which put you in an awkward situation with a roomful of kindergartners.

Next time you come, you can go through my box of fabric and see if there is something you'd like to make Jerome a new pair of pants.

Thanks for sharing your stories!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home