This page has moved to a new address.

Challenge 1

The Heart of Life: Challenge 1

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Challenge 1

For this month, I've decided to do a little bit of personal history.  It sounds dorky, but I promise it's not.  I found a website via Pinterest called the "This Is Me Challenge" and she gives a great list of challenge questions that help you dive into recording interesting and unique things about yourself for all your posterity.  It seems like personal history is something old people do after they've had all their best and craziest experiences.  But why wait?  I've got 23.77 years of awesomeness under my belt.  Might as well record it!

If you were forced to go back in time to the olden days, but were allowed to take 10 modern conveniences with you, what would you take?

Modern plumbing.  I can't imagine having to haul all your water into the house from a well outside.

Dishwasher.  This is a modern convenience I don't have right now.  It would be even more nice to have one in the "olden days."

Toothpaste.  I'm not sure how far back "olden days" goes, but they used to use some pretty nasty things as toothpaste.  I do love that minty fresh feeling you get from modern toothpaste.

Pillow.  Ok, so maybe some old-fashioned pillows are good, but I don't want to take any chances.  I like sleep too much.

Refrigerator.  I can't fathom how people manged to keep food good before fridges.

Pandora Radio.  Now, if nobody else had internet, I would have no need for internet either.  However, I would miss that magical music station.

Amazon.com (and other equivalents).  This is my main source of book purchasing.  It's so great to find cheap books so easily.

Ovens.  I love a good campfire, but it seems so unpredictable when it comes to cooking.  Plus a lot of houses (and people) caught on fire back then.  Ovens are so much more safe.

Electricity.  I've mentioned several things that require electricity, but they wouldn't be much good without being able to turn on.  That being said, I'm going to slip lights into this category, as it seems to be electricity in its simplest form.  But I'm no electrical engineer, so I could be wrong.  Electricity is nice when you want to turn on the bathroom light in the middle of the night.

Cars.  I like being in places I've never been, but I don't really like the traveling part.  I don't like being in transit.  Thus, I like to get wherever I'm going as quickly as possible.  I'm adamant about driving the speed limit, but I'm definitely not a dawdler.  I like how much faster cars make travel.

I can't decide whether my list makes me feel embarassingly spoiled or ridiculously blessed.  I live a very privileged life.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Celia Turner said...

I thought of what my top 10 would be even before reading what you chose, so that it wouldn't affect my decision at all. I ended up choosing 5 of the same: 1)running water - which includes a hot shower & a toilet 2)electricity 3)refrigerator 4)oven 5)cars. Different on my list were: 6)washing machine 7)modern medicine 8)contacts 9)heater & 10)my bed.

 
At June 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Georgia said...

Great lists, Lindsey and Celia! It certainly makes you think (and count blessing)!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home