This page has moved to a new address.

Weekend Reading Binge

The Heart of Life: Weekend Reading Binge

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Weekend Reading Binge

So I have this thing where I start books and never finish them.  And if I do finish them it takes me years.  It's not that I'm not into the book--I'm a quick judge of books and will jump ship within the first couple of pages if I'm not feeling it--it sometimes just takes me a while to digest books, particularly classic literature.  Les Miserables literally took me two years to finish.  In my defense, it was the unabridged version and Mr. Hugo has a thing for random tangents (which is why an abridged version exists, I learned). 

Anyway, earlier this month I finished Anna Karenina (which only took me less than a year to finish!) and thus gave myself the opportunity to start another book.  I could and would read several books at the same time, but then I would finish none of them, so I have to use a little self-discipline and limit myself to one at a time.  When considering what to read next, I was in the mood for something a little spooky, so I selected a Gothic classic I'd never read before:  Dracula!
P.S. How creepy is the cover of my version?  Looking at that face gave me a creepy feeling every time I opened it.

My goal was to finish it before Halloween, and I succeeded with four days to spare.  I will admit, however, that checking the following book out from the library hastened my reading a lot.
I finished Dracula today, so I got to start Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  That book had my name all over it.  It's slightly different than I expected, but I still got shamelessly sucked into it.

I should also mention that my self-discipline in avoiding reading multiple books at the same time has been stronger.  I'm also working on A Series of Unfortunate Events.  I read most of them back in high school, but never got to the last few books.  It's been so long that I can't even remember which book I left off on, so naturally I started on book the third.  Mostly because that was the most easily accessible via my library's online audiobooks.  However, my progress was slower than expected via audiobook, so once I got to book the fourth I went with an ebook on my ipod.  I finished book the fourth yesterday and began book the fifth today.  Yes, I started two books today.  But I also finished two books in the past two days, so I'm letting this one slide.
Favorite quote thus far from book the fifth:  "Cakesniffing orphans in the Orphan Shack!  Cakesniffing orphans in the Orphan Shack!"

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Dani said...

Kelly just finished Dracula too! He's been really into what he calls "classic" horror/sci fi lately. Also I love A Series of Unfortunate Events. I like the way it's written with the very specific to the situation definitions of words and funny quotes. I think I randomly have the 2nd, 3rd, and 13th books, so if you want to borrow any of those I can send it to you.

Also, thanks so much for the cards; I flipped through all of them and both they and the gesture of making and sending them were very sweet.

 
At October 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Lindsey said...

You're so welcome!
Our library has a good stock of the hard copies of Series of Unfortunate Events, so I should be ok. I've just been too lazy to drive over there, so I've been checking out eBooks instead. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home